Books about Homeschooling
- Call of the Wild and Free : This book changed the way I saw homeschooling and gave me that confidence that I am capable of taking this on. If you’re in need of a little empowerment as you prepare to start your journey, or if you want to learn more about the different homeschool teaching styles, this book is a must have!
- The Brave Learner: Another amazing book that takes the stress and self doubt right out of starting your homeschooling journey. This book is so inspirational and focuses on creating an environment of wonder and a love for learning!
- The Read Aloud Family: My wife and I are avid readers, so it’s always been a priority for us to create an environment where our children will fall in love with books just as we did. Storytelling is such a huge part of that, and this book walks you through the benefits of reading aloud, offers practical advice, and even includes age specific book lists to get you started.
- The Whole Brain Child: This is one of the absolute best parenting books I’ve read. The toddler years can be tricky. Kids are sorting through their emotions while trying to learn effective communication, tantrums are probably going to arise. This book gives practical, hands on advice on how to navigate it all and create a peaceful environment for you and your kids. I put lessons from this book to use while I was still reading it, and worked! By the time I finished the book I felt so confident in my ability to deescalate and prevent tantrums all together.
- No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind: Even more nuggets of wisdom from the authors of The Whole Brain Child
- How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A must read for anyone who interacts with kids. A survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7 : The lessons in this book, the practical tools – AMAZING!
- The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children: Such a beautiful reminder that we often need to start with ourselves before we even attempt to “fix” anyone else. So much wisdom, and so many “aha!” moments in this book.
Books about Mindset
- Women Who Run With the Wolves: This book has less to do with homeschooling and more to do with female empowerment. I’ve found that my biggest setback with homeschooling has been self doubt. This book speaks directly to that, and serves a a reminder of that power we have within us. This book is a terrific book to give just about any young women starting on her journey, but it’s also a phenomenal book for any woman, at any stage of her life, embarking on a new venture. Whether that’s starting homeschooling, beginning a new school year in the classroom, or navigating a relationship.
- Mindset – The New Psychology of Success: While I found this book to be a little repetitive, the key takeaways are phenomenal and worth reading. In this book the author Carol S. Dweck describes two mindsets: the fixed mindset and the growth mindset and describes how your personal success (in just about every area of your life) is dramatically influenced by the way you view your potential to develop and improve your abilities. I found myself being more conscious of how I spoke to my little ones and encouraged them. This book has definitely made me more intentional with making challenges fun and exciting for my kids and celebrating effort and perseverance, versus natural abilities and staying in a comfort zone.
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones: Full disclosure – I haven’t read this one yet, BUT it has been recommended to me many times by people with phenomenal taste in books. It’s currently on my list of books to read, so I wanted to share it here also. If you’re feeling somewhat lacking in motivation or self discipline, this book is designed to give you the practical skills necessary to get you on a path to developing and sticking to great success habits!
Do you have a book recommendation that you think I should try out? I’d love to hear your suggestions! Please leave me a comment below.
This page contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on items purchased.